This Meerkat stands in a bush scouting the wild and dangerous African landscape. Shortly after sunrise, the sun’s full warmth engulfed this little mammal’s body. Some green grassy sprouts are barely surviving in the desert bush. The Meerkat is searching off to the right of the photograph while we admire an angled-front view of its upright body.
Exciting and fun facts about the adorable Meerkats:
- Their tan fur helps them blend in with their surroundings, which disguising them from predators flying above.
- They are immune to a lot of scorpions and snake venom. They also enjoy these creatures in their diet.
- Did you know? Dominant female Meerkats are cannibals! They sometimes eat pups of subordinate females.
- You would not experience this unless in their presence, but Meerkats come with a funky smell. However, this bad scent helps to determine which of the peers are friendly or not.
- Meerkats are very quick and can run at a speed of 48 kilometers / 30 miles per hour.
Meerkats, Suricata suricatta, are in the category of least concern on the IUCN Red List.
For more wildlife photography similar to ‘Meerkat Stands In A Bush Scouting’ head on over to our Suricata photographs. Or discover more wildlife photos in our portfolio. Fine art prints and licenses you can purchase on our website.
Are they always observing the area for predators. This meerkat you photographed beautifully.
Anette Mossbacher –
Indeed, the meerkats are actually quite cautious while on the search for food or just to play. Thank you