Sweet Memory Of An Wild African Rhino In Africa
Or – “Once Upon A Time’; there ‘were’ many African Rhinos roaming the continent! These wild animals were strolling in peace through the unending vastness of the African Landscape. A Rhino in Africa has nearly no real predators. Of course, sometimes, an African White Rhino calf fell victim to African lions or other big cats. There are the Black Rhinos, Diceros bicornis, and the White Rhinos, Ceratotherium simum, still roaming the continent. Their numbers are decreasing rapidly after each year!
Coming Across An African Rhino
When I came across a Rhino, no matter if black or white, I always called myself a very lucky duck of a Wildlife Photographer, out in the bush. I have witnessed beautiful strong animals, mother’s with their calfs strolling through the bush. Rhino families are defending their calves from a lion pride successful. Sometimes I wonder if they know! Do they know how to protect themselves from humans with guns? Like George, the great strong rhinoceros bull, a Black Rhino, below in the photograph. Is he still roaming his territory out there? Do you know? I don’t. Maybe killed by now for his horn!
This African Rhino bull was very curious and came closer to see what I am. I had put down the camera when he came closer and closer. Watching him checking me out. He was putting his nose up in the air, sniffing, the ears wiggled around, trying to hear anything from me. I was silent, did not even wanted to breathe, just wanted to witness this wild animal close, without a camera in between. He left me in awe, and I can say: I was able to see some of these majestic, magnificent animals in the wild still alive! I followed this proud African White Rhino bull with my eyes till he totally disappeared behind me in the thick bush.
The “humans,” Homo sapiens, have become the BIGGEST PREDATORS for Rhino in Africa. No matter what, these wild animals get poached every month more and more by humans for their horns. The thirst of Greediness of homo sapiens! Will it ever end?
Black rhino in high grassland at the edge of the Etosha national park salt pan feeding in peace.
Poaching / Killing Reasons of Rhinos / FACTS:
- The Greediness of humans (I have NO respect for them)
- Traditional Medicine – Consumer – Fairytale Believers – believing in detoxification of the body when having a hangover, fever-reducing (grab Paracetamol that works!), and who knows what else!! Far East / Viet Nam / China (these are adults consuming it!! “Once upon a time ‘someone’ said wonder powers… and many are “believing” these fairytales!“)
- Symbol of Status by wealthy and powerful Vietnamese, they see a Rhino Horn as a status symbol. Go buy a fancy car, watch, painting or boat. This is very concerning! Source: www.savetherhino.org
- Big Syndicates to make more money with Rhino Horns for… (you came naked to earth and you leave naked!)
More info on Vietnamese consumers, which is not only used for traditional medicine purposes. A new trend has come on the table, the African Rhino Horn “Status Symbol” for rich “educated” Vietnamese!
While the number of living rhinos in Africa is decreasing on a fast path, Tanzania faces its largest elephant’s catastrophic decline in numbers from 109,051 in 2009 to 43,330 in 2014! Isn’t that shocking? Source: www.traffic.org
African White Rhino with her calf standing on a hill in the bush. Discover more photos of these endangered species.
The Environment Of South Africa Website Has Written A Very Interesting Article About African Rhino Poaching:
That fascinating article about Rhino Poaching Timeline Statistics South Africa 2000-2015. Source: Environment of South Africa.
In short, when this Zuma became president, signing deals with China, the number of poached African Rhinos are drastically increasing from year to year. South African’s souls are on “sale.”
- 2007 – 13 killed rhinos – president – Kgalema Motlanthe
- 2008 – 83 killed rhinos – president – Kgalema Motlanthe > signs of the first trades with China
- 2009 – 122 killed rhinos – president – Zuma > contract signed with China! The beginning of selling South African’s souls!
- 2010 – 333 killed rhinos – president – Zuma > South African’s souls on sale
- 2011 – 448 killed rhinos – president – Zuma > more Chinese Yada Yada and Zuma got warned by local businesses!
- 2012 – 668 killed rhinos – president – Zuma > geez, read in the website Environment South Africa what this Zuma was up to!
- 2013 – 1004 killed rhinos – president – Zuma > wants to sell the last few bits and pieces of South African’s Souls to China!
- 2014 – 1215 killed rhinos – president – Zuma > trying to get the “South African-Sino relations.” Probably selling now wild animal’s souls above the table!
- 2015 – 410++ killed rhinos – president – Zuma > busy renovating his “home,” new buildings,…etc., in his 30++ Millions of Euros Villa/Castle. His Voters, hopefully, wake up soon, live in Squatter Camps! China Yada Yada will for sure continue. The South African soul is on “SALE.”
- 2016 – 1054 killed rhinos
- 2017 – 1028 killed rhinos
- 2018 – 769 killed rhinos. Now I am curious if the number goes down also for 2019!
- 2019 – ? Killed rhinos. Hopefully, none, which I doubt very much!
The Only Thing Necessary for the “Triumph of Evil” is that Good Men Do Nothing!
Quote above from Edmund Burke.
Discover the Indian rhinos. Please see my earlier post of African Landscape Pictures Taken Early Morning, which is about Landscape Photography in Africa. Landscape and Wildlife photo canvas prints are available online in my photography portfolio. Information about wildlife and landscape photo prints and nature stock photography pictures.Get Closer To Wildlife