Botswana: The Ultimate Photographic Safari – Photo Tour 2017
Anette Mossbacher and Peter Delaney (BBC Wildlife Photographer of The Year in 2011, 2013) will lead a private group of six photographers into one of Africas last living Edens, Botswana. This Unique Photograhic Safari covers three of Botswana’s premier Wildlife destinations. The Okavango Delta, Savute and Chobe area.
The Safari Photo Tour Dates: 27th October until 6th of November 2017
You arrive a day earlier in Maun, Botswana, our starting point for this photography tour. Please, meet Peter and Anette on 26th October for dinner in Maun.
About The Photo Tour Locations:
Is an emerald oasis in the heart of Botswana. This life giving water rises from its source in the Angolan highlands and dies in the scorching sands of the Kalahari desert. The Okavago delta during the dry season (Oct-Nov) has the highest concentrations of wildlife in Southern Africa. The delta fringes and flood plains attracts huge numbers of grazers which in turn attracts large numbers of predators. Lions, Hyenas, Leopards and Wild Dog can be encountered on a daily basis.
Photographic highlights include the large herds of Buffalo and breeding herds of Elephants. These herds as they trek daily to the deltas waters kick up clouds of dust creating an ethereal glow in the last rays of an African sunset. The delta is home to the indigenous Lechwe who make spectacular photographic subjects as they leap through channels clear waters. Not to forget the lion prides patrolling the areas.
Expect to see pods of Hippos in the lagoon areas of the delta. The shallow are perfect for bird species in particular the waders, storks herons and egrets.
Khwai River Lodge Day 1 -3:
The renowned Khwai River Lodge will be host to our safari group on the deltas waterway. The lodge is home to luxury rooms seated on raised wooden platforms with traditional African roof thatch.
Each room has its own private decks with easi chairs and hammocks, perfect to relax after an action filled photographic day. Four poster beds with discreet air conditioning and elegant bathroom will ensure a comfortable nights sleep.
Day 4 – 6 Savute:
Is a dry arid area within the Chobe National park created by the unpredictable water flow of the Savute channel. The animals are reliant on a few waterholes some man made. During the dry season the wildlife congregate around these vital water sources. Late afternoons entire herds of different species can be seen crowded around the same waterhole. This can lead too spectacular action photography as tolerance levels of animals are pushed to the limits.
The Savute is renowned for its groups of spotted Hyenas and Lions which led the Derek and Beverly Joubert creating a wonderful documentary called “Eternal Enemies”
Another wildlife phenomenon are the Lion killing Elephants of the Savute caught on camera by the BBC.
The 5 Star Savute Elephant Camp is situated in the heart of the Chobe National park. The camp is in a truly remote and wild area offering guests the complete classic African safari experience.
The lodge hosts a cluster of twelve rooms on raised platforms. Each with its own outdoor lounge shaded by traditional African thatch.
Rooms are luxurious with lavish ensuite bathrooms and dressing rooms with discreet air conditioning.
Day 7 – 11:
The Chobe river marks the boundary with the Caprivi strip in Namibia. The Chobe is famed for its large populations of Buffalo and Elephant. Some 70,000 elephant are found in the Chobe National park. The highest density of Elephants in Africa. They provide wonderful photographic opportunities as they come to the river bank to drink and swim. Late afternoon you can expect to see all the animals from the nearby forest coming down to drink.
As our small photographic safari group will be staying on the Chobes premier houseboat we can take advantage of smaller boats specially adapted to photographers needs. This allows us to get close and personal with Chobes wildlife. Photographing from a boat will allow photographers to get a complete unique photographic perspective of their subjects.
Photographing on the Chobe River will bring an exciting and different feel to this “Ultimate Photographic Safari”.
Apart from the huge herds of Elephants, large concentrations of Buffalo, Antelope and Predators are seen. The birdlife in Chobe is prolific with close to 390 species been seen from the boats alone.
Chobe River Accommodation:
The luxurious house boat contains three decks the lower deck boasts five ensuite cabins tastefully decorated. The middle deck contains the lounge and dining room. The open air top deck allows guests to chill and relax on sun loungers and enjoy their sundowners with snacks.
Duration of the Photo Tour: 27th October 2017 until 6th of November 2017
Arrival Day – Meeting for Dinner: 26th October 2017 in Maun, Botswana for those arriving earlier.
6th November transfer back to Kasane.
Cost per person: 9775.- $US Dollars
Reservation Fee: 2200$ US Dollars
Registration ends: 15th of July 2017
Difficulty Level: Easy
Climate: Warm – Hot
Reserve your spot for this fantastic photography tour, accompanied by two professional nature and wildlife photographers. After your confirmed booking a full detailed list will be send to you with all information you need. Please, do not hesitate to contact us for any inquiries you may have.
Scheduling your arrival: You arrive on the 26th October 2017 in Maun / Botswana, a day before your photographic safari tour starts. Please meet Peter and Anette for dinner.
What Do You Need To Bring Along On Your Photographic Safari:
- Patience and passion for wildlife, love to travel
- Lenses for your camera bodies in the range from 16 – 600mm. The minimum tele requires around 300mm. If you do not own a tele, there are shops which rent lenses and bodies for reasonable prices in these days.
- Camera body, 2 bodies are highly recommended. If one fails, you still have one body left in the bush!
- Hyperdrive or Laptop, external hard drives for your photographic files storage
- Opportunity to photograph in one of the last true remaining Wilderness areas. Where wildlife has no boundaries!
- Experienced and knowledgable field guides will drive us in private open 4×4 vehicles. Reserved for our photography tour group only.
- Private vehicles with one person per row (3 Rows per Vehicle) plus a seat by the driver is available for lower perspectives.
Is This The Ultimate Photographic Safari For You?
- Photographers of all levels are welcome to this Photography Tour.
- The Photo Tour leaders are professional wildlife and landscape photographers and have experience with Canon, Nikon, DSLR and Mirrorless cameras.
- Photo Tour leaders will gladly answer any question and share their valuable experience and knowledge.
- This Safari Photo Tour is all about Wildlife Photography, we will maximise our time when ever possible in the field.
- One to one help is available at the lodge.
- Anette and Peter want all participant to have the most memorable photographic experience and will do their best to ensure this happens.
- This “Ultimate Photographic Safari Photo Tour” has been designed for serious wildlife photography and game viewing. The locations chosen are some of the best wildlife photography destinations anywhere.
- Photography and digital workflow instruction from experienced professionals.
- The Group size will be 6 guests only.
What Is Included In The Photographic Safari Photo Tour?:
- All luxury accommodations, including all meals, drinks (all house wines, local spirits, soft drinks, bottle water, tea and coffee) during the safari photo tour
- Domestic flights in a small aircraft between each safari lodge. We have 2 extra fright seats for photography equipment on the flights between the safari lodges! Of course, it is a photography tour 🙂
- All safaris with private 4×4 vehicles & house boat in Chobe for our photography tour group.
- All park fees, transfer from and to Kasane airport
What Insurance You Should Have For This Photographic Safari Photo Tour
- Please, make sure to have an insurance for your medical coverage over the full time for your photographic tour
- Travel insurance
- Camera equipment insurance
Information for personal care on this Photography Tour:
- On this photographic safari photo tour we will be traveling in the African bush. Please, bring enough of any of your medication along you need for this time!
- If you suffer of any health issues in hot environments, please seek medical advice before booking
- Let us know, if you need a special dietary.
- Please, check that all your vaccinations are up to date for the Southern Part of Africa.
- Motion sickness and sea sickness medication, if needed! We will be on a boat for a few days and transfer between camps in little aircrafts!
About Nature Photographer Anette
See more offers on Photo Tours with two expert photographic instructors, like discovering Greenland. More information about all Photographic tours and workshops offered. Why not take a private tour to follow the funny Meerkats in Botswana!